Pages

Sunday 30 May 2010

Family History and Retirement

Some time ago I met a gentleman who was waitng for a bus. As we were chatting he asked me what day it was. I replied that it was Thursday, why? He said since I retired every day seems the same.
I said "don't you have any hobbies?" and he replied "I never had time when I was working and now I'm too old to learn something new"
I told him that I was coming up for retirement soon and have the perfect hobby. I told him about my involvement in family history research.
The chap said he didn't have any family so it would be a waste of time him doing that.
I gave him a challenge 'If I can find you some family would you be interested?'
"But I don't have any family" he said. "Just answer the question" I replied.
"Well I suppose I would" he went on..."It would be nice to have someone to talk about old times to and perhaps to visit. It would give my life some purpose as I feel useless at the moment."
I encouraged my new friend to come along to the next meeting of our Family History Society which was in two days time.
I was a bit skeptical whether he would show up but at 7pm there he was. We went in and I introduced him - 'John' was his name - to some of my friends. Within five minutes John met someone who he had worked with several years ago. He chatted for a while with his old workmate, then the evenings talk started. The talk was about local historical buildings and the businesses that occupied the buildings.
"My uncle used to run a business in that shop" John whispered to me, pointing to a slide that our guest speaker was showing.
At the end of the meeting John told me that he had enjoyed his first evening out since he had retired and said he would like to join the society. I got him signed up right away.
John never misses a meeting now and has even started researching his family tree. He's even met several 'Distant Cousins' who he keeps in touch with regularly.
John thanked me for introducing him to this facinating hobby. He now has plenty to keep him occupied. John now has 'Family' again. He has a great social life and a wonderful hobby.

If you are coming up for retirement, take a tip from John. "Join your local 'Family History Society' you won't regret it."

Find YOUR local Family History Society here: http://familyhistory4all.co.uk/family_history_societies.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment